Match Reports

High scoring Second Half Brings Title Reward

posted 21 Mar 2016, 15:06 by Kenneth Fox

Mágh Cuilinn            4-13 

Michael Cusack's      3-11

A good crowd of parents, player colleagues and club supporters turned up to support of 2015 Minor B team as they tried to secure a Minor Shield title to the U16 championship won in 2013. If the pitch was understandably thin on grass (fair play to Kinvarra for releasing it), the conditions were otherwise perfect.
Michael Cusack's seemed to have the better of the early exchanges in general play but Mágh Cuilinn between ability to take scores and frees led by the narrowest of margins toward the end of the half. A goal from Anraoi Whyte cancelled out an earlier strike from Cusack's while Shane Clancy also added a point from play to his unerring tally from frees. As halftime neared, Cusack's upped the ante, puting pressure on short passing out the field and 1-02 to a single point in reply saw them go in 2-07 to 1-07 ahead at the break. Any moaners about Micheál Bohan's performance on the goal were silenced by two excellent stops from point blank range.
After a period in midfield and in defence, in the second half Anraoi Whyte was restored to the full forward line and was initially starved of possession as the ball was slow coming although a free by Shane Clancy cut the deficit to two. Dara Davoren lined a free from 80m and dropped high on top of Anraoi, who rose, caught, moved out and pointed over his shoulder. The next ball, was superbly caught running toward goal while falling, the handpass was doubled on but wide. The next saw a change of tactic, an overhead pull, with the clash breaking to Evan Kenny who finished the bouncing sliothar to the net. Sean Barrett then gave Shane Clancy a ball to chase down the left wing which he collected and scored from a tight angle to stretch the lead to three. Cusack's did respond with a point before route one for the fourth time was Anraoi caught, who powered away from the defender and struck the stanchion in the net so hard that Ciaran Scully felt obliged to collect and finish the rebound from the 13m line. No need the umpire was already on his way! Michael Cusack's to their credit did respond and pulled back another point. The leaders were guilty of falling back too far and as predicted on the ditch, the massed defence cleared to an absent half forward-line. The return evaded three Mágh Cuilinn defenders before a ball broke inside to their free left corner forward who guided it deftly past Micheál Bohan. The game was back to one point and Mágh Cuilinn were rocking a little. Micheál Bohan was forced to reprise his point blank stop of earlier. Mágh Cuilinn needed a score to steady the ship and Shane Clancy dug the ball out of a ruck found a few yards of space and duly obliged. Some shape and order was returned, and once again the high ball provided reward as once again, he caught, he moved and he struck; this time content to place it in the corner. The five point margin was restored. Anraoi was on hand to catch again and this time was content to repeat his opening score of the half. Cusack's still would not give up and responded with a point. Again Anraoi rose high but he was not going anywhere although referee, Paschal Sheehan, saw fit to award a 20m free and not a penalty. Shane Clancy obliged. Almost immediately, the ball broke through the Magh Cuilinn rearguard as earlier, but although Micheál Bohan looked to have the situation under control he missed his ground stroke and in the resultant meleé, a penalty was awarded. It might be a tight finish after all. After some delay sorting out the position and trying to enforce the D, the Cusack's striker chose top right corner, he chose unwisely, although well struck, Micheál Bohan swatted it away and Paul Wynne threw himself full stretch to deny any chance the shot from a tight angle on the rebound would score. Squeaky bum time was avoided then as full time approached. Cusack's continued to press for a goal but their final effort was deflected high and over the bar. Mágh Cuilinn were good value for their five points in the end.

Mágh Cuilinn: Micheál Bohan, Tim McDonagh, James Dempsey, Aaron Connell, Paul Wynne, Caleb McGuinness, Gareth Kenny, Joseph Lydon, Dara Davoren, Ryan Fox, Ciarán Scully, Sean Barrett, Anraoi Whyte, Walter McDonagh, Shane Clancy,

Subs:  Evan Kenny, Jamie Cox, Micheál Joyce, Alan Carr, Tom O'Connor, Andrew McDonagh, Owen Hester, Fionn McDonagh, Dylan Curran, Ceillan Leonard, Ger McDonagh, Neil Mulcahy, Kian McLochlann.

Senior 2016 Honeymoon Ended

posted 21 Mar 2016, 13:33 by Kenneth Fox

Mágh Cuilinn         1-10  

Liam Mellowes'     1-20

Ballyloughane proved to be as unwelcoming a venue for success as it usually is on Saturday, when a strong Liam Mellowes selection had the game wrapped up by halftime, with most of the damage being done by Tadgh Haran and John Lee (with three points from play at wing back) in the final ten minutes of the half. Although, Liam Mellowes racked up the early points, scoring four on the bounce bracketed by two Magh Cuilinn efforts, a goal by Seamus O'Conghaile from a superb Niall Mannion pass had Mágh Cuilinn in front. That was as good as it was to get with Mellowes outscoring Mágh Cuilinn by 12 points to one in the remainder of the half.
In the second half, Mágh Cuilinn matched their opponents but could not find the goal that might have made a significant impact on the deficit. Instead it was Mellowes who claimed the goal at the end to restore their half time advantage.

Mágh Cuilinn: Eric Fox, Sean Rossa McDermott, Matt Donohue, Paul Burke, Seosamh O'Faharta, Eanna Noone, Vinnie Faherty, Pat Lydon, Dan Kelly, Conor Bohan, Robert Molloy, Gary Bohan, Seamus O'Conghaile, Niall Mannion, Andrew Hurney.

Subs:  Shane Barrett, David Kearns, Jack Kelly, James Donohue, Jack Kelly

Back to Back wins in Senior League

posted 18 Mar 2016, 10:01 by Kenneth Fox

Mágh Cuilinn 1-16   

St Thomas'    1-14

In a venue not often a happy hunting ground for Mágh Cuilinn, the Seniors displayed the maturity of an experienced side to come away with a well deserved win over the home side in their second League outing of 2016.

Mágh Cuilinn had four changes from the side that played Clarenbridge, Vinnie Faherty and Eric Fox were again available but Micheál Bohan, Kevin O Donovan, Conor Bohan and Philip Lydon were all unavailable so Paul Burke and Robert Molloy were also drafted in. The sides were level at halftime 0-10 to 1-07 with Niall Mannion taking his goal well to keep Mágh Cuilinn on level terms. The sunshine belied a briskness in the air and Mágh Cuilinn did have the benefit of a light breeze for the restart. 
St Thomas' demonstrated what is often their Achilles heel, even when all there county players are available, and conceded a needless free almost immediately. The flow of the game was in Mágh Cuilinn's favour although points from Pat Lydon, Gary Bohan and Mannion's frees pushed the Mágh Cuilinn score on, St Thomas' were able to respond sufficiently to never allow the gap to more than two points. The gap was a single point when the event that might have changed the game occurred. A speculative shot from range was batted clear by Eric Fax in the direction of a Magh Cuilinn player but it was a Thomas' player who was first respond and he dispatched the ball to the top of the net to put Thomas' two ahead. However Mágh Cuilinn did not panic and continued to defend well with forwards making themselves available for defenders to find a pass to them. Niall Mannion was able to grab the lion's share of the second half nine point haul from placed balls but scores from play from Seamus Conghaile, Dan Kelly and Mannion were also important as the defence kept St Thomas's to one point for the remainder of the half as Mágh Cuilinn overhauled them once again. Two wins, 20 players used already, the Senior League has been a good exercise already.

Mágh Cuilinn: Eric Fox, Sean Rossa McDermott, Matt Donohue, Paul Burke, Seosamh O'Faharta, Eanna Noone, Vinnie Faherty, Pat Lydon, Dan Kelly, Chris Hurney, Robert Molloy, Gary Bohan, Seamus O'Conghaile, Niall Mannion, Andrew Hurney.

Subs:  Shane Barrett for Chris Hurney, David Kearns, Richard Neylon, James Donohue, Ryan Fox

Seniors open their 2016 return with a win

posted 16 Mar 2016, 15:13 by Kenneth Fox   [ updated 18 Mar 2016, 10:03 ]

Mágh Cuilinn 1-16   

Clarenbridge 1-10

Mágh Cuilinn won their opening league match thanks to a hard working team display. The official halftime score was 0-07 to 0-06 although many had Mágh Cuilinn one point better off. The bulk of first half scores came from the reliable free-taking of Niall Mannion, even if his shooting from play had a few cobwebs to blow away. Chris Hurney, Philip Lydon, Conor Bohan and Gary Bohan all contributed from play. Mannion had the ball in the net from the rebound of Dan Kelly's shot, but Dan having shipped some heavy punishment on the way through was given the "advantage" of a free once his shot was saved, so Niall will have to wait to add to his burgeoning goal tally (no doubt Chris is keeping a score).
The advantage of the wind and the scoring goal came into reality in the second half, where a secure defensive performance meant Micheál Bohan did not have too much trouble to deal with. With the younger Hurney among others winning his share of frees, Mannion kept the conversions coming. Various players having had opportunities in both halves to make the breakthrough, it was Chris Hurney who finally found the onion bag to keep his goal tally ticking over. Dan Kelly added his name to the list of scorers and also joining the scorers was one returned emigrant, Shane Barrett, recently transferred home from the Kingdom of Kerry. When he left, Mágh Cuilinn had not been Senior for 32 years; he returns to cap his Senior debut with a well taken score. Mágh Cuilinn had stretched their advantage to nine point before a period of sustained attack by Clarenbridge resulted in a late consolation goal.
Another welcome sight (hirsute or not) was Conor Noone's return to competitive hurling after a long year of serious illness.
Tús maith. Every reason to satisfied if not carried away with a League win in March.

Mágh Cuilinn: Micheál Bohan, Sean Rossa McDermott, Matt Donohue, Seosamh O'Faharta, Kevin O'Donovan, Eanna Noone, Pat Lydon, Dan Kelly, Philip Lydon, Chris Hurney, Gary Bohan, Conor Bohan, Seamus O'Conghaile, Niall Mannion, Andrew Hurney.

Subs: Conor Noone, Shane Barrett, Paul Burke, Robert Molloy, David Kearns, Richard Neylon, James Donohue

Great Away Win for U14s' in A1 Championship Opener

posted 16 Mar 2016, 14:27 by Kenneth Fox

Mágh Cuilinn    1-08

Cappataggle     0-09

The u14s got their campaign in A1 off to a winning start on Saturday last with an away win to Cappatagle. With 3 minutes remaining on the clock they trailed by 2 points but they outscored their opponents by 1-2 to 0-1 in those final minutes to win by 2 points. It was a great team performance but anyone who witnessed Colm Cunningham's goal understands why it deserves a special mention. Top class. 

Our team for the game was Captain Eanna Davoren, Emmet Darcy, Rory Joyce, Diarmuid Davoren, Eamon Enright, Rhys Plower, James Bradley, Colm Cunningham, Sean Forde, Fiachra McDonagh, James McLaughlin, Aaron Barrett, Conor Corcoran, Kevin Walsh, Ben O Sullivan, David Donoghue and Jason McDonagh. 

Thanks to the coaches and parents for all your help on Saturday. 

Next championship game will be in Moycullen on Monday evening the 28th March versus Michael Cusacks (Beagh-Kilbeacanty amalgamation)."

Mannion is the star turn as Moycullen march into final

posted 17 Nov 2015, 11:26 by Kenneth Fox

Moycullen 1-15

Ahascragh-Fohenagh 1-10

Pádraic Ó Ciardha At Kenny Park 

24th October 2015

WITH a personal tally of 1-9, full-forward Niall Mannion was the star for Moycullen as they booked their place in this year’s Intermediate county final with a well-deserved win against Ahascragh-Fohenagh last Saturday.

While much of the pre-game attention might have focused on his namesakes for the opposition, inter-county players Cathal and Padraic, it was Moycullen’s Mannion who impressed the most, getting the scores to build his side’s early lead and then tagging on points any time Ahascragh-Fohenagh looked like clawing their way back into the match.

Moycullen were not solely reliant on their full-forward, however, with the spine of their team in particular producing commanding displays. Mark Lydon and Matthew Donoghue solidified the defence while Eanna Noone added industry and skill at midfield, chipping in with 0-3, including two superb sideline cuts. Special mention must also go to goalkeeper Eric Fox, whose crucial intervention ten minutes from time put paid to an Ahascragh-Fohenagh comeback.

The east Galway side had brought the deficit back to three points, 1-8 to 1-11, at that stage thanks to a fortuitous goal, when Padraic Mannion was sent through one-on-one with Fox. The goalkeeper rushed off his line, forcing Mannion, who was probably his side’s most consistent threat from play, to shoot sooner than he wanted to and the Moycullen netminder managed to get his body in the way of the shot.

Though Kevin Gavin did put the rebound over the bar, it proved to be a decisive moment as Moycullen soon tagged on another few scores to cement their lead once again.

Much of the groundwork for their victory had been laid in the opening ten minutes, after which Moycullen found themselves 1-5 to 0-2 ahead. Eanna Noone opened the scoring with a sideline cut from the left-wing and while Padraic Mannion quickly replied, Moycullen soon went on a scoring burst that would provide them with a cushion for most of the game.

Philip Lydon put them ahead before Niall Mannion grabbed a crucial goal in the fourth minute after a strong run down the right-hand side. Seamus Conneely and Mannion again pointed to extend the lead further and Moycullen’s dominance was capped by another superb sideline cut from Eanna Noone, from a narrow angle on the left-hand touchline.

Ahascragh-Fohenagh’s sole response during this period was a Cathal Mannion free but they did settle more into the contest after their poor start. Two quick points from Mannion and Mark Kelly brought Ahascragh-Fohenagh back into contention, but Moycullen always seemed to be able to put scores on the board when they needed to.

This ability proved to be the difference between the sides. While the likes of Padraic Mannion, Mark Kelly and Stephen Smyth all put in solid shifts, scores never came easily to Ahascragh-Fohenagh, evidenced by the fact Cathal Mannion failed to score from play and rarely even got the opportunity to shoot from his deep midfield role.

For more,

Mágh Cuilinn unable to repeat 2011

posted 17 Nov 2015, 11:21 by Kenneth Fox   [ updated 17 Nov 2015, 11:22 ]

Abbeyknockmoy 1-16

Moycullen 0-13

A tour de force from brothers’ Brian and Paul Flaherty inspired Abbeyknockmoy to the county intermediate title – their third in all – at the expense of Moycullen in a decider that, for the most part, failed to live up to expectation at Kenny Park, Athenry on Saturday.

For that, Abbeyknockmoy could not be faulted and the passages of play that did catch the imagination were mainly conjured up by the men in red and blue. In this respect, the two Flahertys once again underlined their class as men apart with towering displays in the central diamond.

Added to this, Abbey’s overall work-rate in the middle third was considerably higher than their opponents who, despite winning a great deal of primary possession, continually got over-turned by a hungrier Abbeyknockmoy 

Moycullen – out for the seventh consecutive weekend and, perhaps, mentally tired because of this – came into this fixture as pre-match favourites yet they looked a pale shadow of the side that took out Ahascragh/Fohenagh a week previous.

That is what will disappoint them the most – that they didn’t translate their earlier championship form or, indeed, the form which secured them the 2011 intermediate title into a more compact display in this one. For want of a better word, they were ‘flat’.

That said, huge credit to Abbeyknockmoy in the manner in which they went about their business. They led 0-7 to 0-5 after a cagey first half and this was after dropping no less than five efforts short into Moycullen ‘keeper Eric Fox’s hands in the opening 10 minutes.

It was representative of the fare in the opening period with Abbey also hitting a further five wides while Moycullen too were also extremely wasteful, tallying eight wides and spurning another six scoring chances in the opening 30 minutes.

The most agonising of those Moycullen misses was Seamus Conneely’s shot at goal on 23 minutes which Abbey’ keeper Declan Molloy proved equal to. To add insult to injury, Philip Lydon missed the follow-up for a point. It summed up John Faherty’s side woes. They failed to score from play in the first half, with full-forward Niall Mannion tallying all of their points from frees.

In contrast, Abbeyknockmoy were more fluent in their endeavours. Coleman Maher, Eoin Blade and Brian Flaherty all found the target from play in the first period while freetaker Paul Flaherty also chipped in with four points from placed balls, three frees and a 65.

Two points ahead, the Brian Cooley/Gerry Farragher jointly managed outfit rocked on after the break, netting the all-important goal on 37 minutes. It was a fantastic move with Maher and Brian O’Donnell combining early on before semi-final man of the match Damien Rooney set up Padraig O’Donnell for what, effectively, was the clincher.

Full report

Honours Even in Season Opener in Fohenagh

posted 16 Feb 2015, 05:54 by Kenneth Fox

Moycullen 3-13 Ahascragh Fohenagh 2-16

In opening round of Galway Intermediate League, an host of Intermediate debutants gained a creditable away draw. Such a spirited display today augurs well for Moycullen as young guns stepped up to the plate with Dylan Curran, Anraoi Whyte and John Lalor manning the full back line, Caleb Mc Guinness at midfield and the duo of Ryan Fox and Lairgnen Mc Dermott out front, all to the fore in a match there for the taking. The sharpshooter was a more experienced hand and when he struck a beautifully flighted sideline between the posts for the equalizer just before the final whistle it capped a performance for Niall Mannion that was truly awesome. There were many other great displays with James Donohoe at corner forward nabbing Moycullen's first 2 points to bring his side back into the game after a sluggish start that witnessed Ahascragh/Fohenagh race into a 5 point lead after only 12 minutes. Moycullen finished the first half ahead by a goal despite having to defend for long periods. Pat Lydon had a trademark score sending his marker all over the place before calmly slotting the sliotar over. Niall Mannion hit his 2 goals of a hat-trick also in this half, in addition Lairgnen Mc Dermott side-stepped his marker at full forward for a well taken point, with Mannion adding to his haul with a brace of points. Jack Kelly converted a difficult free from the sideline as the first half closed much to the delight of the travelling supporters.
The second half was a roller-coaster affair with Mannion to the fore for his final goal of the hat-trick - a sweetly struck ground shot from a rebound that left the goalkeeper no chance. Sadly though Mannion looked to bury the goalie with a rasper 10 minutes later but the goalkeeper dived spectacularly to turn the shot around the corner. Again Jack Kelly split the posts with the 65' but it was Mannion again that saved the day with a ball delivered from Mark Lydon that released Niall to fire the ball over the bar. Ahascragh/Fohenagh could have moved out of sight when their full forward got possession of the ball and headed for goal. Out of nowhere he was hit with a great shoulder by Anraoi Whyte which totally broke up the attack and allowed Moycullen regain control. As time ticked away and Moycullen a point down Mannion stepped up to cap a magnificent performance with a side line cut.
With big games ahead it is hoped the likes of Matt Donohue, Seosamh O'Fatharta, Eric Fox, Mark Lydon, Pat Lydon and Niall Mannion will continue to perform at this high level while also supporting the younger players.
Scoreres on the day Niall Mannion 3-4, Jack Kelly 0-3, Pat Lydon 0-2, James Donohue 0-2, with Ryan Fox and Lairgnen Mc Dermott a point-a-piece.

Minors get campaign back on track

posted 16 May 2014, 08:43 by Kenneth Fox

Magh Cuilinn 4-16 Carnmore 1-10

Our Minors had a large panel of 26 on duty in Baile Doite and plenty of support for their second outing against Carnmore. An at times fractious encounter opened with controversy as almost Caleb McGuinness's shot was half parried by the Carnmore keeper and appeared to cross the line before being cleared but as Lairgnean McDermott's follow up was saved the incident was ignored and play continued. The early chance gave Mágh Cuilinn an appetite for goal and several while several attecks threatened it was Carnmore who went into a two point lead. Caleb McGuinness finally got the scoreboard started with a calmly taken point. The goal did come when Lairgnean McDermott was tackled and the ball ran loose for Carl McDonagh was on hand to lift the ball inside the left hand post. Caleb McGuinness repeated his earlier point to put a goal between the teams. Lairgnean McDermott got a deserved score to stretch the lead and second moments later but Carnmore responded with another point. Ronan Higgins was dominant in midfield and for the most part all the defenders had their opponents in check. Ryan Fox converted a free before a long run from Higgins into the square resulted in a foul on McGuinness. Ryan Fox went for goal from the resultant penalty and his low shot beat all to put Mágh Cuilinn in charge. Ronan Higgins collected a yellow card for an innocuous foul in midfield deemed to be cynical. Joe Lydon marked his Minor debut with a point and McDermott and Fox added to their tallies before McDermott was denied by the Carnmore again keeper, but once again McDonagh was alive to the rebound and grabbed his second goal. In reply Carnmore could only manage two points. Ryan Fox finished the half with his first score from play to leave Mágh Cuilinn 3-09 to 0-05 ahead.

In the second half, despite pressure at both ends there was little scoring until Ryan Fox pointed for Mágh Cuilinn from play. Carnmore showed signs of making a comeback mainly because of a man withdrawn to the middle from full forward, but as a result Anraoi Whyte was free to snuff out any threat close to goal. Carnmore were becoming frustrated and late tackles were leading to frees in Mágh Cuilinn half forward area. One such free saw Carnmore allow the ball to land in the small square and Ciaran Barber was the first to react and he finished the ball into the net. Ronan Higgins scored a fine point and Carl McDonagh added another to keep in touch with Fox in the scoring stakes. In the second half, Carnmore had scored more often taking their total to ten points as against 4-12 points to Mágh Cuilinn but Mágh Cuilinn had slackened somewhat fro their earlier effort. Then Ronan Higgins collected a second yellow for another tackle and Mágh Cuilinn would play the final 10 minutes with fourteen. Ryan Fox set the tone with the first point after the sending off. Frustration was creeping in as Carnmore fouled more and at times dangerously. A melee erupted after a Carnmore clearance as it continued Carnmore goaled at the other end. After a further incident, John Lalor and his marker were sent off but even with reduced numbers with Ryan Fox scoring one each from play and a free. Lairgnean McDermott capped a fine display with a point on the turn from 60 metres. With late tackles raising tempers again, the final whistle finally sounded to the relief of many. A fine win by a margin of 15 points for Mágh Cuilinn to set there Championship challenge back on track.

Mágh Cuilinn: Micheal Bohan, Paul Wynn, Anraoi Whyte, Dylan Curran, John Lalor, Shane Richardson, Cian Connell, Ronan Higgins, Caleb McGuinness, Ciaran Barber, Ryan Fox, Donal McDonagh, Joe Lydon, Lairgnean McDermott, Carl McDonagh.
Subs: James Dempsey for Donal McDonagh, Ciaran Scully for Carl McDonagh, Anthony Faherty for Ciaran Barber, Gareth Kenny for Ryan Fox, Tim McDonagh for Caleb McGuinness, Evan Hurney, Kyle Cunningham, Daniel Lydon, Daire Davoren, Sean Barrett, Shane Clancy

First Round Win in 2014 Championship

posted 27 Apr 2014, 00:07 by Kenneth Fox   [ updated 27 Apr 2014, 00:08 ]

Magh Cuilinn 1-16 Kilbeacanty 1-12

Magh Cuilinn took the front door route in the Intermediate Championship following a gutsy win against a committed Kilbeacanty side in Clarenbridge. The win takes Magh Cuilinn straight to the group phase avoiding messy playoffs and relegation qualifiers. The match started as the U14's played in Craughwell and there was always a side look at the texts flying back and forth to keep up-to-date. Moycullen started against a stiff breeze and though they opened brightly they fell behind as the half progressed due in part to fouls from the half forward line. Eanna Noone kept the flags flying with 6 points for frees in addition to Seamus O'Conghaile and Robert Molloy with a point a piece. The left Moycullen trailing by a point at half time 0-8 to 1-6.
Eanna Noone continued the second half as he had started the first with a succession of points from all corners of the pitch and even pointing 3 times from the sideline - impressive! The Maigh Cuilinn forwards put their mark on the game with piercing runs from the exciting Christopher Hurney and Conor Bohan with his electric speed. Kevin O'Donovan won the puckouts and when Tomas Higgins was fouled near the sideline up stepped the irrepressible Noone to smash the sliotar to the net from all of 35 metres. The backs for their part fed the forwards with intelligent ball and none more so the Matt Donohue who drilled a ball to Philip Lydon on the 45 for a great point as Moycullen stretched ahead. Conor Bohan won his tussle to shoot a point from out near the sideline under the town-side crowd. Substitutes were made with the welcome return of Patrick Lydon from a prolonged injury and though Kilbeacanty hit back with a procession of points Moycullen held out for a deserved win.

Magh Cuilinn: Eric Fox, Sean Rossa McDermott, Matt Donohue, Henry Lydon, Seosamh O'Fatharta, Mark Lydon, Eanna Malone, Eanna Noone, Seamus O'Conghaile, Tomas Higgins, Robert Molloy, Philip Lydon, Chris Hurney, Conor Bohan

1-10 of 39